The Sourdough School Baking Certificate
This certificate covering every aspect of sourdough baking, from starters and ingredients to the mechanisms of fermentation and its transformative effects on bread.
- The certificate is Beyond Baking: While many courses teach the mechanics of sourdough baking, our focus at the Sourdough School is on empowering students with a profound understanding of sourdough. This goes beyond mere recipe following; it encompasses the full depth and breadth of the art of fermentation and the science behind it, supported by evidence-based learning.
- Comprehensive Learning Resources: Our course offers a 52 week guided baking sylbus
- Evidence Based: An extensive, searchable database of over 700 research studies underpinning the Baking as Lifestyle Medicine Protocol, along with access to the case studies from Vanessa’s doctorate.
- Deep Dive into Nutrition and Digestibility: The course delves into the digestibility of sourdough, exploring topics from phytic acid to the bioavailability of nutrients, including phytonutrients. A thorough understanding of the gut microbiome, the role of different grains, and their impact on gut health form a core part of the curriculum.
- Understanding the Science of Fermentation: You will learn about the mechanisms of sourdough and fermentation, including resistant starch, oligosaccharides, and the importance of diversity in the gut microbiome. The course also covers the interaction between plants and soil microbes and how this affects the nutritional value of bread.
- Broader Perspectives: Our teaching extends to agricultural practices and their influence on the nutritional value of bread. This course empowers you not only to bake fluently but also to apply and articulate this knowledge in various settings, whether as a baker or a clinician interested in socially prescribing.
- Supportive and Interactive Learning: The course is enriched with live sessions during term time, allowing direct interaction with me, Vanessa, to support and enhance your learning journey. Workshops offer the opportunity to develop tacit knowledge about bread in an engaging, hands-on environment.
A Holistic Approach to Baking and Learning:
- System Change and Public Health: We view sourdough baking as a form of activism, and the course content reflects this, touching on system change, public health, and various related disciplines including nutrition, psychiatry, agricultural practices, and food system analysis.
- Community-Led Learning: As part of this course, you will join a diverse community of students who contribute rich knowledge and insights. This communal approach enriches the learning experience and fosters a broader understanding of the impact of sourdough baking.
The Sourdough School BALM Certificate is more than a baking course; it’s a comprehensive, engaging, and profoundly deep exploration of sourdough and its place in the world. It’s an opportunity to be part of a movement that values knowledge, health, and community
This workshop comes with the option of a one-week graduation week in Tuscany. Please click here for details.