Your primary objective is to confidently bake and teach Baking as Lifestyle Medicine (BALM)
By participating in the course, you will enhance your understanding of Baking as Lifestyle Medicine. The combined modules provide you with practical baking, cooking, and eating recipes and methods, enabling you to put the theories you have learned into practice. This way, when you prescribe BALM, you can effectively discuss its benefits and engage with your patients on common ground.
The BALM Practical module is awarded as the BALM Certificate in its own right. This module is required to become a licensed BALM teacher, equipping you with a comprehensive understanding and practical skills necessary for teaching BALM.
Upon completing the module, you may be invited to apply for a BALM teaching license and in-person training, allowing you to educate others, promote better health, and bring about positive change in your community.
By participating in this Module, you will learn to We believe that in doing so, you become an activist, helping people to avoid lifestyle diseases by empowering them to bake, eat and share bread as Lifestyle Medicine is an effective and achievable way to improve health.
Throughout the course, you will:
- Master the science and art of sourdough baking: Learn the fundamentals of sourdough fermentation, including the role of wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria, the biochemistry of fermentation, and the factors that influence the final product’s taste, texture, and nutritional profile.
- Understand the principles of Baking as Lifestyle Medicine (BALM): Explore the therapeutic benefits of baking sourdough and how it contributes to overall well-being, including its impact on gut health, mental health, and social connection.
- Develop expertise in ingredient selection: Learn about the importance of choosing high-quality ingredients, including various types of flours, water, and salt, as well as understand the nutritional and functional properties of each ingredient.
- Master dough handling techniques: Acquire essential skills in dough mixing, kneading, shaping, and scoring to create a wide range of sourdough products, from bread to pastries and beyond.
- Refine baking techniques: Gain proficiency in different baking methods, including the use of various ovens and baking tools, to achieve the desired crust, crumb, and flavour profiles in your sourdough creations.
- Learn to create and maintain a healthy sourdough starter: Understand the factors affecting starter health, maintenance, and fermentation activity, ensuring consistent and high-quality sourdough baking results.
- Experiment with different sourdough formulas: Develop a repertoire of sourdough recipes tailored to specific dietary needs and preferences, including gluten-free, whole grain, and enriched doughs.
- Practice sustainable and ethical baking practices: Incorporate environmentally friendly and socially responsible principles into your baking, such as minimizing food waste, supporting local producers, and sharing your skills and knowledge with others.
- Cultivate teaching skills for Baking as Lifestyle Medicine: Develop effective communication, demonstration, and mentoring abilities to share the benefits and techniques of sourdough baking with others, whether in a professional or community setting.
- Build a supportive network: Connect with fellow bakers, healthcare professionals, and BALM practitioners to exchange ideas, share experiences, and collaborate on projects that promote Baking as Lifestyle Medicine.
- Stay current with research and best practices: Engage in continuous learning and professional development opportunities to ensure that your baking practices and teachings are informed by the latest evidence-based knowledge.
- Develop a business or educational plan: Create a comprehensive plan for integrating Baking as Lifestyle Medicine into your professional context, whether it be a bakery, restaurant, industrial bakery, or educational setting.
- Complete the Sourdough School diploma: Demonstrate your mastery of sourdough baking and Baking as Lifestyle Medicine by successfully completing the required coursework, practical assessments, and final project, showcasing your skills and commitment to BALM principles.
Understanding your Module